04 June, 2006

New ink, new milestone



Each of my tattoos has significance.

This is the way it should be, in my opinion. Why get something random that doesn't mean anything to you? That's what t-shirts are for. But your body is.. well, if not for forever, you have to bet on at least a good while longer. Maybe if I were approaching death, I would get fun, stupid things tattooed on me, but probably not.

Age 18: My Aries horns inside of a tribal sun. Very late nineties, picked from off of the wall, done in a hurry by an angry artist, lots of blood and scabbing. But hey, I was finally 18, and that's what that tattoo prooves. My friend Emily was there to videotape, and document the process. What I wouldn't give to see that tape now... I had a play to do that evening, and I remember being in a lot of pain onstage from the giant bandage coming out of the back of my pants.

Age 21: My chalice. Love it. Designed by the amazing Deva, done with loving care by Cain in Boone. A legend, if not self-proclaimed. Modest he is not, but he did a wonderful job with my tattoo, and it was done free-hand, and the circle is perfect. Done at a time of many body-image woes, not only to remind me of my UU faith but to symbolize the bowl as my body and the flame as my inner self, or soul. To tell me, "Jess, you are more than just a body. Remember." And I do. I love wearing dresses that dip down my back so I can show this one off. The stronger my shoulders get, the better it looks. And hey, my soul is pretty hot, too.

Age 25: After two years of being very much in control, very much the director of my life, I am now picking up my feet and floating down the current of my life. I must admit, the views are better this way, and since I'm not struggling against the flow of events, I'm not as worried about drowning. To commemorate this (hopefully permanent) way of being, I have added to my collection of tattoos: enter the beautiful swimming fish, travelling down the top of my right foot as if to point the way downstream. Designed for me by Cara and done on the spur of the moment, this is my favorite tattoo right now. I do have a few worries, like will it immediately start to fade and blur since it's on my foot? I have to say it looks duller already and this is the third day of its existence. I bet it's just getting ready to scab, though. I hope. I hope its not going to be ugly. But you know what? If it is, I will just keep rolling, and the solution will float itself on up beside me, if it's meant to be. So carpe diem: seize the carp. Or is it a beta? Either way, the best part is the bright green eyes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

flowin is the best way to live... enjoy your travels, dear! can't wait to read your stories!

love love,

robin

Anonymous said...

hey miss J,

Can't wait to see the new tattoo!

I'm on Flickr a lot.

Jessica K.. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr