04 July, 2010

Calling it Quits

I've had a realization. I don't want to blog anymore. The reasons are numerous, and mainly are these:

1. Not as many people are reading as I'd like. I know, it's not very mature of me. But it's important. I don't want to be blathering into the blogosphere for eleven readers. Especially since I've been blogging here for almost 4 years. That's pathetic. Blogging sort of feels egotistical to begin with, very self-analytically masturbatory, and if no one's reading, it's even worse.

2. It's just one more loose end that I feel like I'm ignoring. I'm doing so many great things, but even if I have a great time and whatever I'm doing is blog-worthy, I feel like a failure for not taking pictures, editing them, uploading, and blogging no more than 24 hours later. I'm having much more fun reading other people's blogs, anyway. I need less on my to-do list.

3. I'm losing touch with my real journal! Seriously, the last entry in it says... July 14th 2007. THREE YEARS AGO. Oh, help. Journaling consistently since the age of eleven is one of my proudest endeavors. I have all my journals. You can't "have" a blog on the shelf, unless you're lucky enough to get your blog published, and let's face it, my best writing is scattered here amongst the "oh, I haven't blogged in a month" hurried posts. Le sigh. (Just in case you were wondering, the real written entry from three years ago begins, "Well, its my day off and I had an awesome sleep-in-- it's now 10am and I've been reading for a little while.. Harry Potter 7 is coming out in 1 week and I want to be totally ready." Truly, words worth keeping for a lifetime, no?) But its true that a blog doesn't let you write about the real, real things you need to be writing about. The stuff at the back of your mind that really deserve reflection. Maybe one of the reasons I feel at odds with myself is the lack of proper journaling. We'll see.


So, I guess this is my good-bye post, for now. I can see myself starting another blog at some point in the future, maybe a little more focused. This one has run its course. Thank you for reading!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jessica. I will be sad to see you go but I understand. Congratulations on the marriage and Best Wishes. I'll track your knitting adventures over on Ravelry.

Christopher Michel said...

Oh bummer! Well, it’s been fun being one of the eleven, and I’ve really enjoyed your blog. But it’ll also be nice to keep in touch w/you other ways, like through “emails” and “letters” (which I hear are all the rage).

But if you start up again, or decide to just be happily sporadic w/ your web writings (which is pretty much what I’ve done) then I’ll look forward to reading more.

c.

KarenS said...

Hi Jessica,
I found you through ravelry many months ago when you had recently arrived at JCCampbell. I sent you a message or two thru Rav (chickenknit). I've enjoyed reading your blog, it helped re-connect me to a place I love thru the eyes of someone newly experiencing it. Thanks for that! I totally understand not wanting to continue your blog if you feel you are not reaching a large enough audience. Personally, I'll miss hearing about your adventures. My best wishes to you and your new husband, I hope you have a very happy life together!
Karen

Daniel Bowring said...

Ach! As one of your regular readers, I'll be sorry to see your blog go. Of course, this means you'll need to be extra-vigilant about keeping me up to date in real life. Call me! I have acquired an Anaïs!

PS. The captcha verification word that I had to type in order to post this comment was "nobstick".

Gina said...

Oh, Jessica! I will miss reading about your gorgeous crafts and adventures...I'm sorry to read that you are letting it go...but I can definitely relate to some of the frustrations you talked about. Blogging shouldn't be a chore or distraction--nor should it induce guilt!
So, more handwritten love letters?
We'll have to exchange our new addresses soon.
Love,
Gina

Leanne said...

I too will miss your blogs but completely understand the transition. <3

I'm on Flickr a lot.

Jessica K.. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr