28 May, 2008

A Finished Object to share!


Pattern: Cozy Cable Socks by Terry Morris
Yarn: Dream in Color Smooshy, Chinatown Apple colorway
Needles: US Size 1; 40" circ (two at once with no cable needle!)
Knit while: on airplanes; at work; in bed.

Inspired by these by the Knitting Philistine (I still want that Jitterbug colorway...)

Also on the sock needles right now: another pair of cabled two-at-a-time socks in Dream in Color. I was in Arizona, I had finished the socks above on the plane, and I was in a yarn store with good friends. And they had Smooshy. Plus I had a whole 'nother day of lectures & presentations to listen to. I mean, what else was I supposed to do? Not start a new pair of socks? Ha.

Pattern: my own, since I was impatient and wanted to be knitting socks right now

They look a little big (and indeed, they are 80 sts around) but the yarn, I found, tightens up quite a bit after machine washing. It also pills like crazy, but I forgot to tell Kenny that "machine washable wool" doesn't go in the dryer. So, my fault. Pills and all, I'm extremely happy with both of these pairs.

I think that the Chinatown pair might have been the first time I did a heel flap correctly:
See how it's long enough? See how the actual "turn" doesn't come until it's curving under my heel? I think this is the way it's supposed to be. Or maybe I have freakishly long achilles tendons. But the other two pairs of socks that I've made cuff-down have definitely been ill-fitting in that particularly petty little piece of my anatomy. These fit like a glove. Er, sock. A real good fitting sock.

3 comments:

Jenny Raye said...

Love the newly finished socks! Where did you find the pattern? Great job!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

Sharon said...

Gorgeous socks. Seriously, they're stunning.

I'm on Flickr a lot.

Jessica K.. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr