22 June, 2007

Bed Bugs Bite

It seems like there's a list of things I don't have time to do here at camp (read books, finish a knitting project, write blogs) but I'm going to try to fit that last one in now before breakfast.

I have freaking bed bugs. For the last three nights, I've been sleepless, trying to drift off in between smacking, slapping, scratching and cussing (silently, since there are kids next to me). I have dreams that I'm washing my sheets in boiling water, only to wake up and find that nope, it's 1:20 am and I still have a long, itchy night to go. This morning I got up early and carried all my bedding over to the washing machine. I'm so tired. What else should I do? Are they in my clothes, too? My towels? How do I stop them? How did they get here? Is this something to be ashamed of, like having lice? Are they lice?

The worst part is that when I wake up in the morning, I have no bite marks, no red bumps. Only reddish areas where I've been scratching. But I know they're not imagined bed bugs, since last night I stayed awake with the light on until I caught one crawling across my arm. Tiny tiny little whitish thing, so incredibly small and so pinprick sharp when it bites. What the heck is it?

In other news, I'm just working like crazy around the clock. Jules is coming to pick me up on my night off tomorrow and I'm so excited. My world is full of dye and hot wax, batiks and candles, and lots and lots of tie-dye t-shirts. The most exciting things to have happened in the last week were
1) My favorite camper from several years ago, visiting now as a lovely teenager
2) Discovering all the nice things one can make with Sculpey clay beads and some silver findings

And I still haven't "found" my lost voice. I'm froggy, croakey, unable to squeak out anything above my stupid little four-note range way down in tenor land. Last night Ryan and Lilla and I "called" the mountain dance for Brookside, which actually went pretty smoothly.

Ok, time is up. More laterish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

I'm on Flickr a lot.

Jessica K.. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr