07 September, 2007

Musings on a Friday

(That is, musings that are happening on Friday, not musings about Friday...)

Notes from a young child's world: I'm at a very low table, and I can't fold my knees at a right angle (like when you normally sit) and so they're kind of angled in towards each other and stretched out so that my legs can fit under the low table. Unfortunately, I am not in a low chair. I am in an adult chair at a kids' table. Sigh.

Last night we braved the world outside of our apartment in a new way: we got into the car and drove to Newport News to hang out with people who would hopefully become our new friends. And they did! Hilarity and great conversation ensued amongst us: two law students, two particle physicists, one person getting ready to fly to California to begin her PhD, and one Montessori teacher. Plus two pitchers of red ale, plus a loud bar in the neo-urban suburban shopping mall. Oh yeah, plus the old balance board which had lurking in our back seat and had been spotted by one of the physicists. Which lead us to cheer on the way back home: Hooray! We have friends!

This week, since after school doesn't start yet, my primary job has been to ride the bus (we have 1) back and forth with the big kids in the morning and the afternoons. It's about a 15 minute drive, and we have a great time. I remind them of their manners and their bus-riding behavioral expectations. They remind me that ten year olds are really, really smart. We all have fun. Today I got my first present (not bad for not actually having started my job yet, eh?) which is a delightfully colored ceramic cat, housed in pink felt inside of a (clean) yogurt cup. Yay, kids!

I'm supposed to be writing my 1st study packet. As a responsible student i decided to do my research course first, so this packet much contain a 15-page paper about research. Blehhhh. But I'm getting it done, and I think it'll be ready by Monday night (my deadline for sending it away).

Last night I went to our LYS's free knit night, and worked manically on my sweater for two solid hours, achieving at least four inches and I am now *almost* ready to start the colorful yoke. Praise the lord. I started new mittens, too, which might be a Xmas present, so I can't write much about them here.

Ok, off to paper it up.

But quickly: one fantastic thing about working at this sweet little private school is that our lunch is made for us every day. We are welcome to partake or not partake daily as we see fit. So far I've really liked not having to pack my lunch. Sweet.

No comments:

I'm on Flickr a lot.

Jessica K.. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr