09 January, 2008

The Humble Heart

I've been reading Donna Bryant Goertz's book Children who are Not Yet Peaceful, and yesterday it really helped me change the kind of day the kids had in afterschool. Nothing too dramatic, just a shift in my attitude towards constructive, child-led problem solving rather than my (usually) dominant decisions. I hope that as I keep reading, I'll be able to see more and more ways to "nurture the child's spirit" while maintaining the peace in our very full, very unique community of kids.

Also, I'm just going to come out of the closet and say it: I joined Weight Watchers. I know this can sound horribly, horribly dorky to some people, and if you're going to judge me, go ahead. Just know that I need that supportive environment and the tools they offer for helping me make healthy easting decisions, as I have proved that I can't do it on my own. It'll be a week tonight, and I go for my weigh-in to see if I've lost any fractions of a pound over the last week of smaller portions and a heck of a lot more veggies. I know that it's going to be a slow process, but I'm fortified by the fact that it's worked for me before (about ten years ago I joined with my Mom and reached a really healthy weight for myself, and felt incredible). So, there it is. My secret club. A part of me cringes to admit such, well, dorky allegiances, but the rest of me knows it's time to give up such teenage histrionics. It is not dorky to admit that I need help. It is dorky to blindly munch on, ignoring my weight. So there.

1 comment:

Chris said...

www.monstercrochet.blogspot.com/

found this today. thought of you. fun stuff. i'm a fan of the bacon shawl. who doesn't love meat shaped clothing?

I'm on Flickr a lot.

Jessica K.. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr